When you follow the South Beach Diet, you boost your protein intake and lower your carb intake - a strategy often used for weight loss. So for many people, following this popular commercial diet plan means including a lot on meat in your meals. But you can still follow this program if you're a vegetarian. In fact, plant-based diets are also associated with lower body weights, according to a 2021 study. So if you need to shed pounds or maintain a healthy weight, a South Beach vegetarian diet may suit you.
Vegetarian Proteins on the South Beach Diet
When following a vegetarian South Beach diet meal plan, substitute meat-free alternatives (that aren't high in carbs) for beef, chicken, turkey, seafood, and pork. Examples include:
- Cottage cheese
- Eggs (or egg whites)
- Greek yogurt
- Reduced-fat cheese
- Soy (or other veggie) burger
Knowing the right meat substitutions (and having delicious vegetarian South Beach diet recipes) can help you to stick to the program and reach your dietary goals.
Vegetarian South Beach Diet Recipes and Foods
When choosing vegetarian recipes that work with this plan, look for those rich in meat-free protein, oils, and non-starchy vegetables. When possible include low-carb (non-starchy), high-fiber vegetables, such as leafy greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, asparagus, green beans, and mushrooms. Most of these options can be eaten in all phases of the diet unless stated otherwise, but always check ingredients to make sure that you're following the plan closely.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake
The South Beach diet offers delicious recipes. Ingredients in the chocolate peanut butter shake include unsweetened vanilla almond milk, chocolate protein powder, peanut butter, avocado, and ice. A serving of this shake contains 340 calories, 34 grams of protein, and 13 grams of carbs.
Cheese and Onion Omelet With Chard
Get your morning started off right with this mouth-watering breakfast favorite that provides 7 grams of carbs and 21 grams of protein per serving.
- 1 1/2 cups Swiss chard
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 3 teaspoon canola or olive oil (divided)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Saute the onions and chard over medium-high heat in 2 teaspoons of oil.
- Cook the eggs in 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat.
- Top the eggs with all the other ingredients, fold the omelet, and flip it, cooking until golden brown.
Spinach Omelet With Avocado
To change things up a bit, try a spinach omelet with avocado. This hearty breakfast is packed with nutrients including 22 grams of protein and just 8 grams of carbs per serving.
- 2 eggs (you can substitute tofu for eggs in this recipe)
- 1 tablespoon of olive or canola oil
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Cook your eggs over medium heat in oil and fill your omelet with spinach and cheese.
- Fold omelet and flip it so both sides are golden brown; top with sliced avocado.
Cottage Cheese With Walnuts
Try this simple, healthy breakfast when you're in a hurry or on the go. Top cottage cheese with walnuts and cinnamon in the following measurements to reap the benefits of 30 grams of protein and 9 grams of carbs:
- 1 cup of low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Scrambled Eggs With Feta and Asparagus
You can scramble eggs (or tofu) for this savory low-carb breakfast recipe containing feta cheese and asparagus as added ingredients. When choosing this delicious omelet recipe to start off your morning, you'll be getting 22 grams of protein and just 4 grams of carbs.
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 pieces of asparagus, cooked
- 1 ounce feta cheese
- Scramble the eggs over medium heat with asparagus and oil.
- Add the feta.
Lettuce-Wrapped Veggie Burgers
This delicious lunch menu item is an excellent way to follow phase 1, 2, or 3 of the South Beach diet when you're a vegetarian.
- 1 veggie burger
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 slice of low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of chopped onions
- 3 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 radish, sliced (optional)
- Cook a veggie burger of your choice in olive oil with onions
- Add cheese, and wrap it in lettuce.
This recipe has approximately 17 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbs.
Cauliflower-Crusted Grilled Cheese
If you love grilled cheese sandwiches but need to avoid bread when following the South Beach diet, you're in luck. Grilled cheese made with cauliflower crust instead of bread tastes just as great as the real thing -- without the extra carbs. This recipe provides 23 grams of protein and just 8 grams of carbs.
Try a refreshing low-carb caprese salad during the hot summer months when following South Beach diet guidelines.
- 4 large fresh mozzarella balls
- 1 cup cherry tomtoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the mozzarella balls with the cherry tomatoes.
- Drizzle mixture with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe provides you with about 22 grams of protein and 9 grams of carbs.
Baked Tofu With Spaghetti Squash and Pesto
Try a scrumptious baked tofu with pesto spaghetti squash recipe for lunch to boost satiety without the extra carbs. Just four ingredients make up this simple recipe - tofu, pesto, spaghetti squash, and olive oil. You'll be getting about 11 grams of protein and 10 grams of carbs in each serving.
If you're missing pasta while on the South Beach plan, try delicious eggplant rollatinis instead. The recipe calls for eggplant, tomato sauce, olive oil, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, and seasonings. And it contains 27 grams of protein and 12 grams of net carbs per serving.
Try this mouth-watering, lower-carb Mediterranean-style tofu with asparagus recipe to get 25 grams of protein and just over 7 grams of carbs in each serving.
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 8 asparagus spears
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup of onions, chopped
- 3 cups vegetarian broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato soup seasoning (If you can't find this, use ½ teaspoon each oregano, basil and thyme, ¼ teaspoon each rosemary and black pepper, and 1 pinch crushed red pepper.)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Place all ingredients in a slow cooker; cook on high for 3 hours.
Hot and Cheesy Portobello Pizza
When you're in the mood for low-carb pizza, this is your go-to recipe. The hot and cheesy portobello pizza provides 8 grams of carbs and 7 grams of protein, and the ingredients in this simple dish include portobello mushrooms, no-sugar-added spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning and grape tomatoes.
Veggie Sausage Sauté
Pick vegetarian sausage rather than regular sausage to make this flavorful, low-carb veggie sausage saute recipe -- which provides 24 grams of protein and 11 grams of carbs.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped red pepper
- 2 breakfast veggie sausage patties
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Saute the peppers and onions in oil over medium heat.
- Add the veggie patties (cook until brown) -- and top with cheese if desired.
Lemon Meringue Cookies
Containing less than 1 gram of carbs and a little less than a half gram of protein per cookie this mouth-watering sweet treat is sure to be a hit when following vegetarian versions of the South Beach diet. The recipe makes 36 cookies, so have two! Ingredients required to make lemon meringue cookies include egg whites, cream of tarter, sucralose, and lemon zest.
Almond Greek Yogurt Smoothie
Make this delicious snack when you're in the mood for a quick pick-me-up or need to satisfy sweet-tooth cravings. Simply blend together the following ingredients, which provide you with about 21 grams of protein and 9 grams of carbs:
One 6-ounce container of non-fat Greek yogurt
- 8 ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
Roasted Nut Mix
This mixed nut recipe is a perfect fit when you want to curb salt cravings. You'll be getting 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of carbs in each serving.
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (176 C).
- Mix all ingredients and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven until toasted, five to 10 minutes.
Vegetarian Tofu with Cacciatore Sauce
South Beach diet's vegetarian tofu recipe with cacciatore sauce is a meal that pleases family and guests alike. This dish fits into the weight loss and maintenance phase, and provides you with 10 grams of protein and 19 grams of carbs. Ingredients include light, firm tofu, onion, green and red bell peppers, white wine, garlic, basil, oregano, allspice, stewed tomatoes, and tomato paste.